How to Participate
- Set a Reading Goal!
- Record daily reading on a log sheet available at the library.
- Beginning June 5, children can start reporting their reading totals at the library or online on a weekly basis.
- Visit BPL to receive a weekly prize!
- When reading goals are met, each child will receive a free book!
- The first 100 children to read 20 hours will receive two free tickets to a NWA Naturals baseball game.
- The last chance to report reading hours is July 31.
- Check out the Library's Downloadables page – eBooks and downloadable audiobooks count toward your goal!
- Therapy Dogs
- Book Discussions
- Special Performances
- Registration starts: May 6
- Begin reporting hours: June 5
- Last chance to report hours: July 31
Reading Makes You Smarter!
Summer Reading Lists
- Score higher on reading achievement tests! (Roman, S., Carran, D.T., and Fiore, C.D. (2010). The Dominican Study:Public Library Summer Reading Programs Close the Reading Gap. RiverForest, IL: Dominican University Graduate School of Library & Information Science.)
- Close the rich/poor reading achievement gap. (Alexander, K. (April 2009). Hopkins Studypublic libraries determinativein school success. ODE, 72.)
- Free voluntary reading is as effective! (Krashen, S. (1989). "We acquire vocabulary and spelling by reading: Additional evidence for the Input Hypothesis." Modern Language Journal73: 440-464.)
- Program Sponsor: Friends of the Bentonville Library
- NWA Naturals
- Sponsored in part by a grant from U.S. Institute of Museum & Library Services to the Arkansas State Library under the provisions of the Library Services & Technology Act & other generous donations to the Library.