How to Participate
- Register! Download the free READsquared app (Apple, Google) and search for Bentonville Public Library or visit the READsquared Website. Each participant must have a READsquared account to be eligible for prizes.
- Start reading! Earn prizes by logging the minutes you read from May 27 to July 30.
How to use the app
Search for Bentonville Public Library and choose our reading program. If you already created an account at the Library enter the username/password (it will be the same for both) we provided you with. If not, create an account. Once logged in, you can log minutes read at any time. Click on the pencil icon on your homepage. Book titles and authors are not required.
For Pre-readers - entering 6th graders
Badges used by the Library will be titled "Level 1," "Level 2," etc up to "Level 5." READsquared offers additional goals and badges that are optional and separate from the Library and our prizes. When you receive a leveled badge, come to the Library to receive a treasure chest prize. To be eligible for weekly prizes, minutes must be entered in the app at least once every week. If you are randomly drawn for a weekly prize, you will be notified. The grand prize will be drawn on August 1 from readers with minutes logged in the app.
For entering 7th graders - graduating high school seniors
Badges are given for reaching minute goals in the app but do not coordinate with Library prizes. To win weekly prizes, minutes must be entered in the app at least once every week. Tickets are given for reading and can be alloted toward any chosen weekly prize. If a reader is interested in more than one prize item, tickets can be split between multiple prizes. To choose where to allot tickets, click on the interlocking arrows icon in the app to go to the prize raffle page and click get tickets. Once a prize is given away, it will be removed from the options.
To be eligible for winning a grand prize, paper logs must be used. Paper logs can be picked up at the Library. For each book read, fill in an empty book on the paper log. By July 30, turn in the paper log with the desired prize(s) circled at the bottom of the page. Grand prizes will be drawn at the end of Summer Reading Club.
Badges are given for reaching minute goals in the app but do not coordinate with Library prizes. To win one of the surprise weekly prizes, minutes must be entered in the app at least once every week. A random winner will be chosen and notified each week to come to the Library and pick up their prize and pick a free book. Grand prizes will be drawn at the end of Summer Reading Club from readers with minutes logged in the app. Tickets are given for reading and can be alloted toward any chosen grand prize(s). If a reader is interested in more than one prize item, tickets can be split between multiple prizes. To choose where to allot tickets, click on the interlocking arrows icon in the app to go to the prize raffle page and click get tickets.
For Pre-readers - rising 6th graders
- Earn a small prize for every three hours you read, up to 15 hours.
- The first 150 kids to read and log 15 hours will receive 2 tickets to the Northwest Arkansas Naturals game on Sunday, August 7, including a free kids meal at the game, recognition on the field during the game and a coupon for a free Zaxby's kids meal!
- Complete 15 hours of reading for a FREE BOOK and an entry into a grand prize drawing for a $150 Walmart gift card.
- You'll earn an extra entry into the grand prize drawing for each additional 3 hours you read, after 15 hours.
- Random prize drawings will take place throughout the summer. Any child who has logged minutes in READsquared during the week of the drawing will be eligible to win.
- If you'd like to record your reading on a paper log, pick one up at the Library.
For rising 7th graders - graduating high school seniors
- Weekly prize drawings include books, gift cards and more. Log time weekly on the READsquared app to enter.
- Grand prizes at the end of SRC include a kindle, Bluetooth earbuds, a polaroid camera and more. Paper logs must be complete to be eligible for grand prizes. Turn in your reading log by July 30 to enter.
- Complete our Summer Reading Bingo and earn a bonus prize book.
- Weekly gift card prizes will be randomly drawn from all who have logged minutes in the app that week.
- Grand prizes include book bundles, technology, game bundles and more!
- Reading to your child counts towards both their and your minutes.
- Magazines, ebooks and audiobooks count.
- Friday, May 27 - Summer Reading begins! Start reading and logging your minutes
- Monday, July 18 - First day to pick up prize books
- Saturday, July 30 - Last day to log reading
- Monday, August 1 - Children's and Teen grand prize drawings
Virtual Programs & Resources
- Stories with BPL Online
- Free Fun For All
- eBooks, audiobooks, videos and more available through BPL Downloadables
Reading Makes You Smarter!
- Score higher on reading achievement tests! (Roman, S., Carran, D.T., and Fiore, C.D. (2010). The Dominican Study:Public Library Summer Reading Programs Close the Reading Gap. RiverForest, IL: Dominican University Graduate School of Library & Information Science.)
- Close the rich/poor reading achievement gap. (Alexander, K. (April 2009). Hopkins Study?public libraries determinativein school success. ODE, 72.)
- Free voluntary reading is as effective! (Krashen, S. (1989). "We acquire vocabulary and spelling by reading: Additional evidence for the Input Hypothesis." Modern Language Journal73: 440-464.)
- Program Sponsor: Friends of the Bentonville Public Library
- the Arkansas State Library is providing READsquared with CARES Act funding made possible by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Sponsored in part by a grant from U.S. Institute of Museum & Library Services to the Arkansas State Library under the provisions of the Library Services & Technology Act & other generous donations to the Library.
- Arkansas Arts Council